Monday 10 January 2011

Looking after the pennies........................


Being thrifty, and frugal. THIS is my New Year's resolution. Out of want and necessity, 2011 is our year, and probably for many other families too, to watch the pennies, re-cycle, re use, grow our own, make do and mend etc etc. Am I in danger of becoming the old lady in the rubbish tip from the film Labyrinth?!!!



Obviously I will have to buy things here and there....weekly food shops ( but even these I am going limit, and plan ahead with my meals ), but if it's not home-made, hand-made, or second hand, it can't set foot in the cottage.
As a child I was dragged along to jumble sales, and like any typical little one, found the whole thing utterly boring....why on earth would you want to buy that smelly old curtain?!!!! Because my Mum would add it to her colourful stash of second-hand/vintage fabric finds, and make the most lovely patchwork blankets. To this day I still have two of them, they are a must in our drafty cottage!

I have a vision of a vegetable garden full to the brim, bursting at the seams with home grown peas ( always best eaten sneakily then and there, never quite finding it to the dinner plate ), carrots, rhubarb ( for many a crumble with custard ) garlics, onions, nasturtiums wildly spreading, my cut flowers ( which even impressed Mr.Q last summer, so many beautiful flowers from just two tubers! A whole summers worth of flowers for the house! ) anyway I am going on and on just a little bit.........

One more thing though.............I think it's super-duper important for the bumblebee's to learn and be part of it all too. So many children think their parents have a money tree growing at the bottom of the garden. I don't want the girls to be burdened by being frugal, but want them to learn the value of a pound.
This is all ever so meaning full and deep today.
Sorry 'bout that, so perhaps this picture will end this post well today.
Look at this woodpecker visiting the garden! oooooh you should have seen me run for the camera!

xxT.T.F.Nxx

No comments:

Post a Comment