I love cooking, if it can be unhurried, not rushed, a leisurely task.....I'm there. I knew there was a cake sale at school for biggest bumblebee's class that cakes needed baking for, then Q rang mid morning, asking me to add a few cakes to my tray for his "men" at work. He starts a new job this week, and will be saying goodbye to 20-something engineers he's been working with for the past few years. This is definitely once of those instances where the grass is greener, he's sooo looking forward to his new job. And it has it's bonus's for us ladies of the house too.....as he will be working from here to Lands End........a
few many a day out for us in Cornwall in the summer...whoopieeeeeeee!.......
Back to baking. I found this recipe for Rocky Road yonks ago, and it just suits. We all make it don't we? Perfect for cake sales as it can be made in foil tray bakes, and kiddies love it too. I tweak it everytime I make it, according to what's in the pantry....
200G cooking chocolate ( good quality )
2-3 tablespoons golden syrup
200g biscuits ( I find a rich tea/digestive mash up is good )
Glace cherries ( to taste )
1. Heat chocolate on a medium heat in a bowl over a saucepan with boiling water....stir every now and then until all melted.
2. Meanwhile you can pop all your biscuits into a sandwich bag and bash the life out of them, I like there to be fine crumbs and chucks too.
3. Melt your butter and golden syrup in a saucepan until also melted.
4. Add the butter mixture to your chocolate and stir, then add your biscuits crumbles, marshmallows,cherries, and anything else you would like to add.
5. Mix, mix, mix like a crazy lady, then add to a suitable tin, using a fork to flatten making sure you have no gaps. Little foil cake cases or normal cupcake cases are good for kiddies.
6. If you want to pretty your Rocky Road up, now is the time, while the mixture is still damp, you couls either add more melted chocolate on top then shake some icing sugar on, or edible glitter. Or decorate with sweeties ( smarties, popping candy ??? )
7. Pop into fridge for a few hours......then devour..all of it.....I dare you x
# I added sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and for adults I use pecans, or hazelnuts too.
How cute are these heart foil cases????????? Tra laaaaa valentine's is coming up, I will be using these for a little tasty treat for the Q.......
I wanted to bake some savoury cupcakes for Q's "men" as they were all having a meeting first thing in the morning. These Four cheese cupcake/muffins are great. So tasty warm, very similar to cheese scones, but as I am a crap scone maker these are my alternative...always.
FOUR CHEESE SCONE CUPCAKE.
makes approx 12.
50g chedder cheese.
50g red leicester .
50g stinky stilton.
50g mozzarella cubed small.
250g plain flour.
1 tablespoon baking powder.
half teaspoon salt.
1 tablespoon caster sugar.
1 tablespoon mustard powder.
90ml vege oil.
1 large free range egg lightly beaten.
spring onion/chives if desired.
1. Preheat oven 190c/375f/gas 5. Line a tin with cupcake cases.
2. Keep half the chedder for later and put the other half in a bowl, with the other cheeses and mix.
3. Sift flour, b.powder salt and mustard powder into the cheeses and mix.
4. In ANOTHER bowl lightly whisk together milk, oil and egg...and add to the dry flour and cheese mixture.
5. Try not to over work the mixture, just mix until just combined, not worrying about any lumps etc. Add to cupcake cases......and then sprinkle the left over chedder on top.
6. Bake in the centre of oven for approx 20 minutes, or until golden............
Try to eat warm.......enjoy.....ummmmy.
My other recipe I found at the amazing a beautiful mess ( this website, if you haven't visited yet, will blow you pretty little minds, seriously....just gorgeous...) and I have to say it's very straight forward, would be great to do with kiddies.......biscuits dusted with glitter would be, I am sure a welcomed addition to any afternoon tea table....or just for gobbling on your own with a large mug of tea...go on have a go at them!
Phew.........have I scored a few brownie points??????? xx